Friday, November 2, 2012

Remembrance - Transcend Time #1 - Michelle Madow


Release Date: July 27th 2011
Publisher: Dreamscape Publishing
Age Group: Young Adult

Pages: 314
Format: Kindle 

Source: Bought










"Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting. The soul that rises with us, our life's star, hath had elsewhere its setting and cometh from afar."

Lizzie Davenport has been reincarnated from Regency Era, England ... but she doesn't know it yet.

Then Drew Carmichael transfers into Lizzie's high school at the beginning of the year, and she feels a connection to him, almost like she knows him. She can't stop thinking about him, but whenever she tries talking with him about the mysteries behind her feelings, he makes it clear that he wants nothing to do with her. Reaching him is even more difficult because she has a boyfriend, Jeremy, who has started to become full of himself after being elected co-captain of the varsity soccer team, and her flirtatious best friend Chelsea starts dating Drew soon after his arrival. So why can't she get him out of her mind?

Even though Lizzie knows she should let go of her fascination with Drew, fighting fate isn't going to be easy.



This book was inspired by the videoclip for Taylor Swift’s “Love Story” (see below), so I figured I would watch that video first and read the book after that. I have to say that the book is a very good interpretation and extension of the story told in the videoclip. It’s kind of nice to have a sort of ‘companion’ to the book. I’m not a big fan of the song though.

I have to admit, I’m a sucker for good love stories. It makes me all mushy inside and makes me ache for some arms around me. I know, I know, in stories and movies the guys are always that much more romantic and sweet than they’ll ever be in real live, but a girl can dream right? Maybe that’s why we girls like these stories so much and why we have huge crushes on fictional characters!
This one is no different, I read it in a mere day. There are a lot of things I really liked about this book. Let’s start with the reincarnation part: I’ve always been fascinated by the thought of reincarnation. I don’t know if I’m a believer or not, but how cool would it be if we all had a past live? That we were given a second chance to right the wrongs we did hundreds of years ago?

The second thing: REGENCY ENGLAND. How did Michelle Madow know? I’m practically in love with that period in time. If I could have picked any time in the past to live my life, it would have been then. I love the clothes, the society, the manner of living, how everything seems so much more romantic.
I’m a huge Jane Austen fan (another score there). I read Pride and Prejudice every year twice (or more). I’ve seen the movie more than a dozen times and I still love it to bits. So our main character in “Remembrance” having the same name as the main character in Pride and Prejudice and her loving the book as much as I do, YES PLEASE!

This was a good book, a quick read and I really like the writing. If I have to compare it to all the other books I’ve read this year than this one fits right in with books like “The Iron Knight”, “The Lost Prince” and “Fade”. I loved reading them, they’re entertaining, romantic and well written. This isn't a full blown fantasy novel, it's rather a romance story with a pinch of paranormal, but I think YA Fantasy readers who love a good romance will like this one too.
I’m reading Vengeance next and I’m already looking forward to the third book in this series “Timeless” which will be published at the end of the month.

Rating: 






No comments:

Post a Comment