Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Iron Daughter - The Iron Fey #2 - Julie Kagawa

“Your kind of blind, you know?" Puck whispered, smiling to soften his words. "I wouldn't defy Oberon for just anyone. But, for you..." He leaned forward, touching his forehead to mine. "I'd come back from the dead for you.” 

Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.
Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

There’s something about this book that made my skin crawl. I can’t help it, I had such high hopes after reading The Iron King, the first book in the Iron Fey series, which was actually pretty good. Let’s just say this second part was a big disappointment. After reading The Iron Daughter I can definitely understand why there is a “The Next Twilight” comment on the cover of all the books.
Meghan, the strong, funny, out of the ordinary 16-year old half-fey we met in the first book turned in to a sobbing, whining, naïve, little girl. The dreamy prince, who was always kind of a coldhearted, typically unreachable boy, has now become a complete asshole. Off course, he does this to protect Meghan from the evil queen aka his mother. But still, crying your head off for a boy who treats you like a piece of dirt? What message does that send to all the teenage girls reading this book?

And – surprise, surprise – we get to read the story of another love triangle! It’s the typical “best-friend-who’s-always-there-and-makes-me-smile” vs “the-badass-bastard-prince”. And every time, in all the YA books I’ve read, they chose the badboy, the one that hurts them the most and makes them cry. Why?? Again, not a good message, nope.  I think you can guess by now, I’m team Puck. (Yeah, we’re back with the “team” thing, fun)
This is one of those books that has so much potential, but it gets all screwed up somewhere along the way. I get that a lot lately with all the new YA books I’ve been reading. There are some great ideas out there, but the execution isn’t always what it’s supposed to be.

But to end on a good note, there were some things I did like. The maze, for example, was a brilliant idea, it was fun, thrilling and mysterious. This was actually the only part in the book that captured my attention and kept it.
On the other hand, this is a fast read. Although the story didn’t exactly get where it should have gone, Julie Kagawa is a smooth writer. You’ll turn the last page before you know it. That’s why I was a bit confused about this book at first, I didn’t like half of the story, but I still read it in a couple of hours. But after a few days of reflecting I thought it was time to write this review, that I could put my feelings towards this book into words.
My conclusion: the wonderful “Alice in Wonderland” feeling of the first book is completely gone in this sequel and although there are a few good elements, this one was a big disappointment in my opinion.

Rating:



No comments:

Post a Comment